Arugula, Spinach and Strawberry Salad
The perfect salad to welcome spring and summer. The warm honey and balsamic vinegar dressing is a nice complement to the spiciness of the arugula.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups arugula leaves, washed
- 2 cups spinach leaves, washed
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small sauté pan, melt the butter and toast the pine nuts until they are lightly browned. Transfer the pine nuts to a small bowl and set aside.
- If you have a salad spinner, spin dry the arugula and spinach leaves. Otherwise wrap the leaves in several layers of paper towels and squeeze on the towels to eliminate excess water. Tear the leaves into pieces and put them in a salad bowl. Add the strawberries.
- Heat the honey and balsamic vinegar together in a small saucepan just until the honey melts. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and whisk in the olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time until an emulsion is created. Stir in the salt.
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently. Sprinkle the pine nuts over the top and serve immediately.